Friday, May 28, 2010

About face



Drizzle would work for Keats, I'm sure.
A beautiful thing made more beautiful
by being reflected and put in a mist.
Drizzle, I shivered. So hard there were two
of me. In lanes came virgins in track suits,
headed towards a rose garden where no bike
would dare enter neither would we.
The thought had crossed my mind
already poisoned by the lead infected
water fountain which I drank from,
where I drowned once, twice and before.
Am I talking about the weather?
Invisibility could be our personal forever
Or am I talking about myself and you?

In your knapsack, a book full of vowels
[that's what you sang about yourself].
That is what I have in my sang, the I's
the O's, the E's and U's. Not an A in sight.
But I can't see Scotland from here, no,
nor do we merely feel it for too short are hours.
"Thy lyre shall never have a slackened string"
Crosses the mind of one running virgin
headed towards that rose garden where
Apollo is said to be resting, not you.
I'm loose myself, my spirit flies before me.
But comes back in your gentle squeeze
in your golden hair, in your golden fire.
Thy lyre shall forever invisibly whisper to me.

Drizzle works for Keats, I'm sure. A kind of mirror
and mist in one without making any distinction.
I could deal with that, I could. This beautiful thing
made more beautiful by being reflected and put in
a mist. I am not a virgin [as pointed out over breakfast].
I maybe a belle dame sans merci. No, not really, no.
See, what I'm trying to say here dear Keats is
something about the weather and that rose garden
something about that bike and something about
you and the invisibility of slackened strings and I.
Am I talking about the weather? Maybe the image
in a ditch turned mirror by water [poisoned with lead]
is really more beautiful in reflection and mist.
Or maybe I love you and that's just what it is.

There, I said it, Keats.


No comments: